Since moving over to a MacBook Pro there was one thing that really bugged me. Everytime I downloaded certain files, Safari would try and open them. This was particulaly annoying when I was downloading plugins for WordPress which are zip files as I would just want to upload the zip files as they were to whichever WordPress installation I was working on.
Anyway the fix for this is very straight forward but I wanted to put it on here to share with anyone who doesn't know how to stop Safari opening downloaded files and also so I remember myself.
- Open Safari on your Macbook or Mac.
- Click on Safari in the top right corner.
- Click on Preferences from the menu.
- Make sure your on the General tab
- Untick the box at the bottom where it says Open safe files after downloading
- Click the little red button to close the preferences window
- Try and download a zip file and it should no longer open.
I hope you find this useful. It has certainly helped me with my workflow.